Ocean Beach, San Francisco

Ocean Beach, San Francisco

Monday, March 28, 2016

The people that we pass

Have you ever noticed ...

This is a short post about observations I make of the people that I pass as I run.  For those of you other runners out there, you know what I mean. The more miles we run and therefore the more time we spend running, the more people we pass. Some are other runners, some folks walking in parks and paths, sidewalks and streets.

Location and setting play an important part of how the social interaction happens between people as well as regional or geographic differences.  In general, when I am training, I like to make a polite acknowledgement of folks.  I think that the Brooks company has a good slogan; "Run Happy" and I like to do just that.  Sure I realize there are situations where it may not be appropriate for folks to acknowledge me but in general, it's a simple social interaction and I generally reach out to people, make eye contact and make a simple "hi" gesture.

Here's my observations of the categories of folks I meet. Something tells me this will be like George Carlin's original list of the 7 bad words you can't say on TV. Once he shared that list, he got feedback to quickly extend the list to over 200!  I welcome your thoughts and comments!


This seem appropriate:

The other runner or person walking toward me who acknowledges my "hi" and responds in kind. Takes little effort, very economical and seems clear these folks are "ok" with the situation. Fortunately, these people are in the majority.

The polite watcher:

This person doesn't attempt to conceal their interest in me as I run by.  They don't ogle or look on in any awkward way, just a polite glance.






The awkward avoider:

This one always confuses me.  Here's the scene -- I am running through a nice suburban park in broad daylight.  There are other people out and about.  I approach another person coming toward me and I make polite eye contact to say "hi". And somehow this person "doesn't see me". They just continue looking straight ahead as if I am not there.  I'm not sure how or why that is possible except that I conclude that it actually takes more effort for that person to "not see me".

The deliberate avoider:

Slightly different than that last one, this person actually "sees" me from a slight distance and then as I approach to pass them, they deliberately turn away. Perhaps shy or uncomfortable but for sure they don't want to engage in any kind of "hi" or "hello".


Do you come here often:

A further variation of the two above, this is another runner who I can recognize from numerous previous outings. Often times, they are a "better runner" than I am (meaning they are at a much faster pace so they perceive themselves to be better). Yet I have seen them enough times that it's clear that we are each "regulars" at this venue. And yet still, they cruise right on past me -- and I am not even there.

Pleasantly surprised:

Whenever I pass someone running with a baby jogging stroller, I make a clapping gesture with my hands to show them that I "get it" and I really respect them for putting in the extra effort. Hey, it's not just the added weight of pushing the stroller but it's all about the effort to get the child out the door, into the car, out of the car, into the stroller, give them a snack, a juice box, a toy, etc. And these seem to be the folks who are most alert, most engaging, always with a pleasant "hi" and when I clap to show my appreciation, they react with a "who me?"

You talkin' to me?:

Yep, this really happens. This is the person that I make a polite "hi" gesture to and they respond by looking behind them, beside them etc. as if to say "were you saying "hi" to me? "there's nobody else here...". "I don't know who else you may be saying "hi" to..."!




The newbie:

This is another person who is new to the activity -- whether another runner or walker, etc.  They haven't quite gotten comfortable with all the nuances and so they are constantly fussing with their gear, their outfit, their course or route, etc.  They are so preoccupied that when passing them, there really isn't a chance for them to acknowledge my polite "hi" because they have so much else going on.



It's like riding a bike:

Ah yes, a parent running along behind, holding the seat to keep the bike upright, all the time muttering words of encouragement (mixed with raging expletives), this is a common sight.  Did you ever notice that when it's not your child and you are personally removed, all the kid needs to do is just pedal and be done with it? Easier said than done. Whenever I see a parent or older sibling helping a young child to learn to ride a bike, I just say a few small words of encouragement to the kid like "nice job, you got this!" or something like that.

They ARE riding a bike:

What a thrill, who knows how long they have been working at it but you happen to run by as a youngster has just taken their first solo bike ride. The look on their face is matched only by the look on their teacher's face.  I applaud, say great job to the kid and congrats to the teacher.



Kicking and throwing:

Mostly in parks but sometimes in local neighborhoods, a soccer ball comes flying at you as you approach or a softball is fouled over the backstop and lands near you.  Unless I am specifically working on timed intervals in my training, I usually take the deviation from my running to return the ball or frisbee.  My favorite is yelling "I'm open" to someone throwing a football just to see if they respond to throw me a pass.  Better yet, catching the pass and continuing to run a few strides to see their reaction!

Dog lovers:


We own a rescue mutt and he's a bit bonkers in the brain so we get it.  I'm always concerned when I come up from behind someone walking their dog not to startle them so I will cough or make some sound to get their attention. I can't get myself to say "left", the running protocol to alert someone that you are coming up behind them ... perhaps I should?



The gadget folks:

Music to your ears:

They make these things called ear buds now, have you seen them?  Some are wired, some are wireless, some go over the ear, some in the ear.  Lots of choices to choose from.  Yet still, there are folks who listen to their music in public places aloud ... no ear buds, nada.  Perhaps they forgot their ear buds or they broke. That could be understandable and quite a nuisance for them. Otherwise, must we all have to hear what you are listening to?

Talking points:

We all have our cell phones with us at all times. Many of us use running apps, music apps, etc. And generally speaking, most of us liberate ourselves from talking on the phone while we are working out, running, etc.  But then there are the folks who just cannot separate themselves from their phone calls and their conversations go on and on and on .....


How these gadgets have simplified our lives ... or not:

The running app and the music app and the podcast app and the audible book app and the GPS watch and the heart rate monitor and the head lamp ... we runners have really gotten ourselves loaded with technology.  Once we have everything figured out, it all works quite seamlessly. But when something is new, phew it can take a bit before we get all the kinks out.  What's worse, stopping every 50 feet to re-adjust something or waddling in a duck-like form while fussing for 1/4 mile, until we get it all sorted out.

So there is my initial list.  I seem to add another one every time I take a run but I will stop and post this for now.  I look forward to your comments and suggestions for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment